- 1An imaginary spirit of the air.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The plots of many ballets were dominated by spirit women - sylphs, wilis, and ghosts - who enslaved the hearts and senses of mortal men and made it impossible for them to live happily in the real world.
- They are but one of the many hidden groups that still cling to the ancient ways of pure magic; that is, they are among one of many groups (which include elves, sylphs, sprites, fairies, etc.) that took part in inventing magic.
- If the encounters between scholars and sylphs, poets and naiads record the possibility of connection between two sentient beings, Badri also records the possibility of connection between the individual and the universe.
- 1.1A slender woman or girl: an oh-so-slim sylph dressed in a black leotardMás ejemplos en oraciones
- As I gaze at this slender sylph in front of me, the absurdity of her paranoia gets me thinking that women so often suffer from a distorted view of themselves.
- Over the years she has put on about 130 pounds but still dresses as if she were a sylph.
- On the streets of Tokyo, slim-hipped sylphs favour stiletto-heeled Prada sandals, demure Agnes B pencil skirts, a Hermes jacket and a Louis Vuitton handbag.
- 2A mainly dark green and blue hummingbird, the male of which has a long forked tail.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Genus Aglaiocercus (and Neolesbia), family Trochilidae: three species
- Flowerbeds where bees vie with hummingbirds for honey offer unmatched opportunity to observe sylphs.
- In the Otonga area, during this study, the violet tailed sylphs and speckled hummingbirds were observed as those with the largest diet range.
- The Long-tailed Sylph occurs in highlands of northwestern South America from Venezuela to Bolivia.
mid 17th century: from modern Latin sylphes, sylphi and the German plural Sylphen, perhaps based on Latin sylvestris 'of the woods' + nympha 'nymph'.
Más definiciones de sylphDefinición de sylph en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.