- 1Feeling, showing, or expressing sympathy: she was sympathetic towards staff with family problems he spoke in a sympathetic toneMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Both of the controllers were understanding and sympathetic toward me, perhaps more than I deserved.
- ‘Don't worry dear ’, she told me in sympathetic tones, ‘Everything will be fine’.
- Dave offered a hug along with his sympathetic tone, but Lori didn't feel the comfort in the embrace.
- 2Showing approval of or favour towards an idea or action: he was sympathetic to evolutionary ideasMás ejemplos en oraciones
- This patronising attitude only serves to alienate potential members who might otherwise be sympathetic to socialist ideas.
- At least one newspaper has editorialised in favour of political union and others are sympathetic to the proposal.
- Let's hope that Bradford MP Gerry Sutcliffe, whose ministerial responsibilities now include fireworks, is sympathetic to that view.
- 3(Of a person) attracting the liking of others: Hubbell is a more sympathetic characterMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Harvey kept Hilarion as a sympathetic character, ruggedly attractive and devoted.
- Like Tony Maudsley's character, Martin, Christine is very sympathetic, and her sweet nature sets her apart from Ray Temple's bullying and caustic ways.
- In Cath, Jennings succeeds in quickly establishing an extremely likeable, sympathetic character.
- 3.1(Of a structure) designed in a sensitive or appropriate way: buildings that were sympathetic to their surroundingsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- So the goal was to design a roof structure sympathetic to these life-forming principles.
- The home had been plagued by numerous remodels, ‘none of which were sympathetic to the original design,’ he explains.
- The homes will also be sympathetic to existing designs in Broome Manor Lane in that they will be two storey.
- 4Relating to or denoting the part of the autonomic nervous system consisting of nerves arising from ganglia near the middle part of the spinal cord, supplying the internal organs, blood vessels, and glands, and balancing the action of the parasympathetic nerves.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The outer layer of blood vessels contains nerves of the sympathetic component of the autonomic nervous system, the activity of which is controlled by the brain.
- The autonomic nervous system consists of two opposing systems, the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous systems.
- The changes finally become so extensive that almost every tissue, except the skin, the central nervous system and the sympathetic ganglions, is affected.
- 5Relating to, producing, or denoting an effect which arises in response to a similar action elsewhere.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The converse of a sympathetic reaction is a para-sympathetic reaction, which triggers counter-reactions.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He, however, assured the employees that their demands would be considered sympathetically.
- Yet, the councillor has to listen sympathetically even though he knows well he never did or never will get a vote from them.
- Locals seeing them might have thought, sympathetically, that the children's mother had died.