- A chronic bacterial disease that is contracted chiefly by infection during sexual intercourse, but also congenitally by infection of a developing fetus.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- This is caused by the spirochaete Treponema pallidum. The infection progresses in four successive stages: primary syphilis, characterized by a chancre in the part infected; secondary syphilis, affecting chiefly the skin, lymph nodes, and mucous membranes; tertiary syphilis, involving the spread of tumour-like lesions (gummas) throughout the body, frequently damaging the cardiovascular and central nervous systems; quaternary syphilis neurosyphilis
- Screening tests for herpes simplex virus and syphilis were negative.
- Other less common but serious infections are also checked for, including HIV, syphilis and hepatitis B.
- We did not identify any new cases of HIV infection or syphilis.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Other sites include stasis ulcers, decubitus ulcers, granuloma inguinale, syphilitic lesions, and smallpox vaccination scars.
- It was used as a device to cover syphilitic pustules and gonorrhoeal warts in the genital area.
- Syphilis is passed from person to person by direct contact with a syphilitic ulcer.
Pronunciación: /-ˈlɪtɪk/adjetivo & sustantivo
early 18th century: modern Latin, from Syphilis, sive Morbus Gallicus, the title of a Latin poem (1530), from the name of the character Syphilus, the supposed first sufferer of the disease.
Más definiciones de syphilisDefinición de syphilis en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.