Definición de tautonym en inglés:
sustantivoBotany & Zoology
A scientific name in which the same word is used for both genus and species, for example Vulpes vulpes (the red fox).
- In an attempt to gain acceptance for the use of duplicate binomials, MacMillan proposed the tautonym A. apios.
- Bird names in which the genus and species are identical except for capitalisation are apparently called tautonyms.
- There are 82 species of birds whose scientific names are tautonyms - that is, birds for which the two parts of the scientific name are the same.
- Example sentences
- Instead we should look to Speusippus' analysis of tautonymy and heteronymy and bypass eponymy altogether.
- Castor fiber Linnaeus, 1758 is therefore the type species of Castor by Linnaean tautonymy.
- The type of Amphidesma must, by tautonymy, be regarded as A. donailla.
Definición de tautonym en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan