A violent windy storm: a raging tempest figurative a worldwide tempest of economic recession
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Abruptly following, a hoard of men appeared on the ridge, and with a howl like a raging tempest, chaos erupted.
- The first thing I noticed as we approached the front door was that outside seemed to be caught up in a violent tempest.
- Calm seas and easy winds do not test a ship's worthiness, but it is the tempest and the hurricane that show her true metal.
Middle English: from Old French tempeste, from Latin tempestas 'season, weather, storm', from tempus 'time, season'.
a tempest in a teapot
- North American term for a storm in a teacup (see storm).Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In reality, the firestorm of publicity engulfing Gaughan was nothing more than a tempest in a teapot.
- A review of the registration process might prove whether this is a tempest in a teapot.
- A more valid criticism, perhaps, is that the report is a tempest in a teapot.