- 1Of great size, amount, or intensity: there was a terrific bangMás ejemplos en oraciones
tremendous, huge, massive, gigantic, colossal, mighty, great, very great, very big, prodigious, formidable, sizeable, considerable; intense, extreme, extraordinary, excessive, inordinate
- The same goes for De Niro, who plays his part with such terrific intensity.
- There has always been a terrific amount of keeping up with the Joneses.
- In the final the large crowd was enthralled by a game of intense skill and terrific excitement.
- 1.1 • informal Extremely good; excellent: it’s been such a terrific day you look terrificMás ejemplos en oraciones
excellent, wonderful, marvellous, magnificent, superb, splendid, glorious, sublime, lovely, delightful, first-class, first-rate, outstanding; consummate, perfect• informal super, great, smashing, amazing, fantastic, tremendous, phenomenal, sensational, incredible, heavenly, divine, stellar, gorgeous, dreamy, grand, fabulous, fab, fabby, fantabulous, brill, awesome, magic, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, ace, crack, cool, mean, bad, wicked, mega, crucial, mind-blowing, far out, A1, sound, out of this world, marvy, spankingNorth American • informal peachy, dandy, jim-dandy, neat, badass, boss, radical, rad, boffo, bully, bitching, bodacious, crackerjackSouth African • informal kif, lank• informal , • dated groovyBritish • informal , • dated capital, champion, wizard, corking, cracking, ripping, spiffing, top-hole, topping, beezerNorth American • informal , • dated swell, keen• vulgar slang shit-hot• archaic goodly
- He is an excellent tackler with terrific instincts and the speed to chase down plays.
- It sounded like a terrific idea, but somehow got extremely muddled along the way.
- In the south of France a wonderful woman supervises another terrific restaurant, the Hostellerie Jerome in La Turbie.
- [as submodifier]: she’s been terrifically busy latelyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He brings to the plate some truly fragrant and terrifically tender roasted meat.
- Malkovich's first film is a triumphant and terrifically stylish exercise in moviemaking; it has a real identity and signature.
- He is terrifically smart, funny, judicious, a great lawyer, and knowledgeable about law, history, and so much else.
mid 17th century (in sense 2): from Latin terrificus, from terrere 'frighten'.