- 1The process or result of becoming broader, deeper, or denser: where two continents collide, some crustal thickening occurs [count noun]: one of the effects is a thickening of the skinMás ejemplos en oraciones
- It is believed that babies who develop the condition are not born with pyloric stenosis, but that the progressive thickening of the pylorus occurs after birth.
- The Nazca Plate, which underlies the eastern Pacific Ocean, slides under western South America, resulting in crustal thickening, uplift and volcanism.
- These rocks may represent the product of partial melting caused by crustal thickening during an orogenic event.
- 1.1 [count noun] A broader, deeper, or denser area of animal or plant tissue: trees with tiny thickenings on the winter twigsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The ultrasound examination looks for a thickening of skin behind the fetal neck, called the nuchal fold, which sometimes occurs in Down syndrome and, possibly, other birth defects.
- Fine spiral thickenings are frequent.
- None of the species studied has thickenings in all vessels.
adjetivoVolver al principio
- Becoming broader, deeper, or denser: a hazardous journey through thickening fogMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Although the rough weather and thickening fog beyond the harbour prevented us passing between the high cliffs, we made up for it with a nightcap in the yacht club.
- The once bright sun dulled behind a sheet of faint mist, and many of the busy servants had a hood drawn up against the ever thickening fog.
- If it had not been for the thickening fog, one might have thought that it was going to rain with no clouds in the sky.
Más definiciones de thickeningDefinición de thickening en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.