adjetivo (thirstier, thirstiest)
- 1Feeling a need to drink: the Guides were hot and thirstyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I heard once, from a bloke in an extremely loud bar, that the reason these places turn up the music is because it gets your adrenalin going, and that makes you thirsty and so you drink more.
- It was a recent Friday in July and I was on my way to the store to get something to drink because I was thirsty.
- I wasn't thirsty, but I drank a couple of mugfuls which went straight through me.
- 1.1(Of land or plants) in need of water; dry or parched: the earth was dry and thirsty encouragement is as water to a thirsty plantMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Herds of zebras and giraffes search for water on a thirsty continent.
- Cool breezes bring instant relief as the thirsty land absorbs the falling rain.
- Every inch of thirsty land was soaked by the precious rain, the crops were saved and so was people's livestock.
- 1.2(Of an engine, plant, or crop) consuming a lot of fuel or water: a huge thirsty 5.3-litre engine farmers still grow thirsty crops like rice and alfalfaMás ejemplos en oraciones
- It is powerful, unsurprisingly so given the size of that thirsty engine, handles reasonably well and does so in comfort.
- The price of such impressive performance, however, is a very thirsty engine.
- Newly irrigated lands are often used to grow thirsty cash crops instead of traditional staples for direct consumption, leaving farming families at the mercy of the global market.
- 1.3 [attributive] • informal (Of activity, weather, or a time) causing thirst: modelling is thirsty workMás ejemplos en oraciones
- What they don't mention is that studying the Talmud is thirsty work.
- Charcoal making was probably thirsty work: little streams run down the woods from springs and seepages.
- And after all the thirsty work of trawling the streets for entertainment or acquisitions you can always drop into one of the town's many pubs which really come into their own at this time of year.
- 2Having or showing a strong desire for something: Joe was as thirsty for scandal as anyone elseMás ejemplos en oraciones
- And when people see Christ in us, they become that much more hungry and thirsty for his kingdom in their hearts.
- All of us, at some time, have been poor in spirit or have been hungry and thirsty for righteousness.
- She listened with an eager ear, thirsty for knowledge of a life better than her own.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Come July and August, with crops drinking thirstily from the canal, the riverbed below the diversion often dried up completely.
- Even as the bubbly was popped, the man being fêted for his stunning achievement thirstily quaffed a few glasses.
- By the early 1980s, Americans were thirstily knocking back more than three million cases a year.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Under these mangrove swamps near Dar es Salaam lies a solution for the thirstiness of this large metropole
- We just thought the thirstiness was because of the heat, the bed wetting because of the thirstiness and the weight loss because of a growth spurt.
- If it weren't for the thirstiness after the meal and the high prices, this would be a must visit for me when I have the vegetarian urge.