Definición de tinker en inglés:
- The tinkers live by mending pots and pans, telling fortunes and selling horses and ponies at the various fairs throughout the country.
- For the first time in his life, Yllek felt a sense of awe and wonder regarding his native city, and began to understand the underlying truth behind the stories borne by travelling tinkers and bards through the outlying lands.
- The travelling folk, or tinkers, were often treated as second-class citizens, with heartbreaking consequences.
- In Scotland and Ireland gypsies were often called tinkers because of their similar wandering life-style.
- The gypsies or tinkers as they were better known walked around the fair the whole day trying to sell ponnies, strainers and tin cans to reluctant buyers.
- Quite near us, in Wigton, just beyond the cemetery, was a place called Black Tippoe and that was where gypsies and tinkers used to come and winter there.
verbo[no object] Volver al principio
- Solutions do not lie in tinkering with the system, fiddling while Earth burns.
- We shouldn't be tinkering with the checks and balances our founding fathers put in this constitution.
- Luckily, I was tinkering with a design for a different site and I've decided to steal that for my re-design.
- not give a tinker's curse (or cuss or damn)
- informal Not care at all: I don’t give a tinker’s damn if you believe me or not!Más ejemplos en oraciones
- If American jets take out Iranian enrichment facilities, I don't give a tinker's damn if the man who gave the go-order was a D or an R.
- These people don't give a tinker's damn about anyone in uniform.
- I don't give a tinker's damn whether we withdraw unilaterally or multilaterally.
- tinkerer sustantivo
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- But critics argue the flag is the latest attempt to wrest control from consumers, stifle innovation, create inconvenience, turn tinkerers into criminals and raise prices - all for a technology that won't stop piracy anyway.
- Only rich tinkerers could afford an automobile before Henry Ford developed an assembly line to make cars cheap and reliable enough for everyone.
- More than mere tinkerers, record-breakers push the world of possibility beyond the borders of perceived reality.
Middle English (first recorded in Anglo-Latin as a surname): of unknown origin.
We do not know where the word tinker came from, but in the past tinkers played an important role travelling round mending metal utensils. They had, however, a reputation for bad language giving us the expression not give a tinker's curse, sometimes shortened to not give a tinker's. The verb meaning ‘to attempt to repair or improve something in a casual way’ was suggested by the improvized way that tinkers worked, and is found from the mid 17th century.
Palabras que riman con tinkerblinker, clinker, drinker, finca, freethinker, Glinka, Inca, inker, jinker, shrinker, sinker, Soyinka, stinker, stotinka, thinker, Treblinka, winker
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.