Definición de toehold en inglés:
1A small place where a person’s foot can be lodged to support them, especially while climbing.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Michael stood below him, placing the young climber's feet into the toeholds afforded by the sheer rock wall.
- Janet carefully swung one leg over the sill and rested her small foot on the narrow toehold as she shifted the rest of her through the opening.
- Your weight shifts and, incredibly, your right foot catches a toehold.
1.1A relatively insignificant position from which further progress may be made: the initiative is helping companies to gain a toehold in the Gulf
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Quite simply, local young people are being squeezed right out of the housing market, quite unable to contemplate gaining even a toehold.
- It prefers to begin its expansion programme in new countries by gaining a toehold - or minority interest - rather than making a big initial acquisition.
- The French reached Cayenne in 1604, and the Dutch arrived in 1616, but Britain did not gain a permanent toehold until 1796.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Canadá
Muy popular en Australia