- (In the US) a Chinese association or secret society, frequently associated with organized crime: [as modifier]: the tong wars in ChinatownMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The struggle for control of these illicit businesses also gave rise to frequent intrigues, violence, and political corruption and to sensational press coverage of the so-called tong wars.
- I guess what I'm saying is we can complain all we want about the tong culture and how the rule of law can be a joke in this country, but we have to start somewhere if we want to fix things.
late 19th century: from Chinese (Cantonese dialect) t'ōng, literally 'meeting place'.
- 1Curl (hair) using tongs: hair has been tonged at the ends for this great lookMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The stylist suggests tonging the front section into a large wave before pinning it to the head.