Definición de topsy-turvy en inglés:
- In her topsy-turvy upside down world she could clearly make out exactly where her body was supposed to be going but she misinterpreted it somewhere from perception to motion.
- But the deeper effect of seeing the world from a different perspective, of calmly abiding in a topsy-turvy, upside-down world, may be the most profound benefit of all.
- Not for the first time, I reflect on the topsy-turvy, upside-down parallel universe of India.
- This topsy-turvy condition resulted in an expensive and chaotic quest for new artistic direction.
- But Sarah's outlook remains optimistic and most importantly as balanced as it can be in the upside-down, topsy-turvy world of an actor.
- It all converged one day during his topsy-turvy four-month ride as chief executive officer, when Upside magazine listed his company among the hot 100 firms in technology.
sustantivo[in singular] Volver al principio
early 16th century: a jingle apparently based on top1 and obsolete terve 'overturn'.
Things have been topsy-turvy since at least 1528. The term is probably based on top and turve, an old word meaning ‘to topple over, overturn’; the extra -ys are similar to those in hurly-burly (M16th from ‘hurling’ meaning ‘commotion’) and arsy-versy (also M16th, from arse and Latin versus, ‘turned’).
- Example sentences
- While groping her way about, Eve barked her shins against pieces of furniture that seemed to be lying topsy-turvily about.
- There's joy in the berthing that's managed so scurvily, Pleasure in each individual lurch; Joy in the pitching about topsy-turvily, Fun in the custom-house officers’ search!
- But alas, in our mechanical universe and in our seedy Romanesque society, things ideal have become perverted and many of our perceptions are based topsy-turvily on our opinions, which in turn are based on other opinions in a sprawling tissue of lies and nonsense, prejudice and superficialities.
- Example sentences
- The contrast between the Stowe / Lincoln and Truth / Lincoln meetings also sets up the metaphor of topsy-turviness.
- A more radical example of my topsy-turviness: I fell in love briefly with a nature photographer I met at this same crafts fair.
- The toddlers made fascinating subjects with their bewildered reactions to the topsy-turviness around them.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.