Definición de tragicomedy en inglés:
sustantivo (plural tragicomedies)
1A play or novel containing elements of both comedy and tragedy.
- It's like a romantic comedy written by Beckett - a romantic tragicomedy - in which romance dies not in some passionate combustion, but fizzles out into uncomfortable, aseptic banality.
- And he aims to complete this picture with a tragicomedy dealing with the relationship between two fiery best friends.
- Of his three rousing tragicomedies, Juno and the Paycock is the most popular, The Shadow of a Gunman the most moving, and The Plow and the Stars the most accomplished.
1.1 [mass noun] Tragicomedies as a genre.
- It would seem that tragicomedy was the new genre of the moment, and that Shakespeare, Fletcher, and Beaumont sparked each other off to develop that genre to its full potential.
- Part fairy tale, part tragicomedy, it's sure to be a hit.
- This film could have been deadly earnest and full of moral fury, but the tone is the stuff of tragicomedy.
- Example sentences
- It would be tragicomic if it had not cost so many lives.
- A moving, tragicomic tale of a woman facing the loss of a breast to cancer has won the annual Seniors Week short story competition.
- Well, here's a revealing, tragicomic, ugly example.
- Example sentences
- It's a very serious issue; they're often abetted by over-zealous or uninformed prosecutors; and it does happen - as the notorious case I just mentioned tragicomically demonstrated.
- Once again the defense was tragicomically inept, particularly against our point guard, who racked up seven assists before the first quarter was over.
- A stout but vulnerable little object, it heaves part of itself aloft in a way that leaves one footlike dowel hanging, tragicomically, a few inches off the ground.
Words that rhyme with tragicomedycomedy
Definición de tragicomedy en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan