- 1The carrying of people or things from one place to another: a painting was damaged in transitMás ejemplos en oraciones
movement; transport, transportation, conveyance, shipment, haulage, freightage, carriage; moving, travel, travelling, journeying, passage, passing, transfer, crossing, progressen route, on the journey, during transport, on the way, on the road, on the move, along/on the road, in motion• informal on the go
- They have been linked to nearly 3 million worth of robberies from cash in transit vans in recent years.
- The ships carrying the materials have been in transit for some time and are due to arrive in the Irish Sea shortly.
- There is also the issue of goods damaged in transit, during transportation from Mayo to Dublin or to the ports.
- 1.1North American The conveyance of passengers on public transport.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- So what precisely would be the difference between a search conducted to protect a library collection and a search to protect myself and my fellow passengers in the public transit system?
- He also wants to ease the region's transportation problems by increasing lanes and improving public transit.
- In fact I would say foot travel and public transit would be the main ‘losers’ to cycles as it would mainly be relatively short haul trippers who would be impacted.
- 2The action of passing through or across a place: Guatemala is to have freedom of transit across BelizeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The remaining 400,000 were transit - or stopover - passengers.
- Those transit passengers are being subjected to more scrutiny, a more careful look being given specifically to their shoes and to their clothes and to their electronics.
- One of the special features of the bus terminus is the pedestrian subway connecting all platforms, ensuring safe transit of passengers.
- 2.1 Astronomy The passage of an inferior planet across the face of the sun, or of a moon or its shadow across the face of a planet: the transits of Mercury across the sun’s discMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Besides a couple of eclipses slated for May, sky watchers would witness transits of two planets over the disk of the Sun.
- Over a mere five occurrences these transits of Venus had shifted from events of astronomical importance to a sideshow with mere curiosity value.
- The transits of the Planet of Love happen in pairs, eight years apart every century.
- 2.3 Astrology The passage of a celestial body through a specified sign, house, or area of a chart.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- By the classical era the Sun's transit through the zodiac sign had taken precedence and Virgo became more directly perceived as a Maiden of fruition through the Harvest.
- It seems to me like the awful transit of Saturn through Cancer brings much trouble in areas like the home, family, terminal periods of life, health and care, real estate - you know it well.
- In the same period transit Saturn in Taurus was making two passes over natal Pluto.
verbo (transits, transiting, transited)[with object] Volver al principio
- 1Pass across or through (an area): the new large ships will be too big to transit the Panama CanalMás ejemplos en oraciones
- No recreational or commercial fishing is allowed, or diving or snorkeling, and vessels transiting the area must stow fishing gear.
- Arnold also had to battle geographic commanders who tried to hijack command of assets when they transited their specific areas.
- The old man was transiting the Atlantic by ship.
- 1.1 Astronomy (Of a planet or other celestial body) pass across (the face of another body, or a meridian): at the end of February Jupiter transits the meridianMás ejemplos en oraciones
- When the planet transits the star, it blocks a small amount of the star's light; it's essentially a miniature solar eclipse.
- People won't really see a planet transiting the Sun.
- Mercury and Venus are the only planets that orbit closer to the Sun than the Earth, so they are the only planets that can transit the Sun.
- 1.2 Astrology (Of a celestial body) pass across (a specified sign, house, or area of a chart).Más ejemplos en oraciones
- When Saturn transits the sign of karka or cancer and again when it crosses scorpio or vrischik, the individual will experience the panoti or adhayia of Saturn.
- Saturn transits each sign in about 29.5 months and crosses three signs in about 7 and a half years, hence the reference to sadesati.
- Of course, there's a saying that when Jupiter transits three signs in a year, there will be lots of floods - and aren't we having that!
late Middle English (denoting passage from one place to another): from Latin transitus, from transire 'go across'.