Definición de transmutation en inglés:
1The action of changing or the state of being changed into another form: the transmutation of the political economy of the post-war years was complete [count noun]: grotesque transmutations
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Ethnicity and location have undergone interesting transmutations in contemporary times.
- Of course, I can do multiple transmutations at the same time.
- They have formed the basis for the English theatrical tradition, and they continue to find realization in readers' imaginations and, in richly varied transmutations, on the world's stages.
1.1 Physics The changing of one element into another by radioactive decay, nuclear bombardment, or similar processes.
- By 1902 Rutherford and his colleague Frederick Soddy were proposing that a different chemical element is formed whenever a radioactive element decays, a process known as transmutation.
- In other words, the radioactive atom has undergone a transmutation from one element to another.
- In 1903, Ernest Rutherford and Frederick Soddy made the astonishing discovery that natural radioactivity involves transmutation.
1.2 Biology , chiefly historical The conversion or transformation of one species into another.
- The example cited by you, as proof of beneficial mutations (of bacterial resistance to antibiotics) is irrelevant to the Darwinian explanation of the transmutation of species.
- So he either has complete fixism of species, or he has transmutation of species.
- With Darwin we have even more of a puzzle, because we have more evidence in his notebooks on his thoughts about the transmutation of species.
1.3The supposed alchemical process of changing base metals into gold.
- Alchemical symbolism permeates several of Shakespeare's plays; King Lear in particular has been interpreted as an allegory of alchemical transmutation.
- The idea of transmutation through alchemy was one that was taken quite seriously and Dee was granted special rights far beyond someone of his standing.
- Among the alchemists's asserted aims were the transmutation of base metals into gold, as well as the preparation of an elixir of longevity and a universal cure for illness.
- Example sentences
- The transmutational offensives wait in anticipation.
- However, the transmutational process remained a mystery to them, as humans struggled to explain it within terms of entropy and enthalpy.
- They were an interesting forerunner to my true transmutational thoughts - which came later.
- Example sentences
- This concept made Darwin an evolutionist in a sense that does not apply to earlier transmutationists like Lamarck and Erasmus Darwin.
- In the nineteenth century a series of scholars began to uphold not just transmutationist doctrines but theories suggestive of what eventually would become known as Darwinian natural selection.
- In effect, they claimed, transmutation undermined the very evidence the transmutationists were using to support their case.
Definición de transmutation en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan