- 1The action of changing or the state of being changed into another form: the transmutation of the political economy of the post-war years was complete [count noun]: grotesque transmutationsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Ethnicity and location have undergone interesting transmutations in contemporary times.
- Of course, I can do multiple transmutations at the same time.
- They have formed the basis for the English theatrical tradition, and they continue to find realization in readers' imaginations and, in richly varied transmutations, on the world's stages.
- 1.1 Physics The changing of one element into another by radioactive decay, nuclear bombardment, or similar processes.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- By 1902 Rutherford and his colleague Frederick Soddy were proposing that a different chemical element is formed whenever a radioactive element decays, a process known as transmutation.
- In other words, the radioactive atom has undergone a transmutation from one element to another.
- In 1903, Ernest Rutherford and Frederick Soddy made the astonishing discovery that natural radioactivity involves transmutation.
- 1.2 Biology , chiefly • historical The conversion or transformation of one species into another.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The example cited by you, as proof of beneficial mutations (of bacterial resistance to antibiotics) is irrelevant to the Darwinian explanation of the transmutation of species.
- So he either has complete fixism of species, or he has transmutation of species.
- With Darwin we have even more of a puzzle, because we have more evidence in his notebooks on his thoughts about the transmutation of species.
- 1.3The supposed alchemical process of changing base metals into gold.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Alchemical symbolism permeates several of Shakespeare's plays; King Lear in particular has been interpreted as an allegory of alchemical transmutation.
- The idea of transmutation through alchemy was one that was taken quite seriously and Dee was granted special rights far beyond someone of his standing.
- Among the alchemists's asserted aims were the transmutation of base metals into gold, as well as the preparation of an elixir of longevity and a universal cure for illness.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The transmutational offensives wait in anticipation.
- However, the transmutational process remained a mystery to them, as humans struggled to explain it within terms of entropy and enthalpy.
- They were an interesting forerunner to my true transmutational thoughts - which came later.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- This concept made Darwin an evolutionist in a sense that does not apply to earlier transmutationists like Lamarck and Erasmus Darwin.
- In the nineteenth century a series of scholars began to uphold not just transmutationist doctrines but theories suggestive of what eventually would become known as Darwinian natural selection.
- In effect, they claimed, transmutation undermined the very evidence the transmutationists were using to support their case.
Más definiciones de transmutationDefinición de transmutation en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.