Definición de trivet en inglés:
1An iron tripod placed over a fire for a cooking pot or kettle to stand on.
- On and around them are all sorts of spits, racks, trivets, pans, kettles, cauldrons and hot plates, all fashioned out of black cast iron.
- His opening slide was of a cast iron trivet with a steaming kettle on top.
- Satisfied, she turned back to Lucky and motioned towards a steaming kettle sitting on an iron trivet on top of the wood stove.
1.1An iron bracket designed to hook on to bars of a grate for a similar purpose.
- The front of such trivet bracket is shaped to correspond with the front edge of the bracket carrying the grate and is formed to project from the thickness of the trivet bracket that such projecting edge may rest on the edge of the bracket carrying the grate and the trivet be thereby supported and prevented from revolving.
1.2A stand or support with three or more legs.
- I'd taken the glass turntable out to wash and thought it would be OK to use it without, just to heat milk, forgetting that the plastic supporting trivet would still turn round…
- Practical as protectors under wine glasses, they can also be set side by side to create a trivet for a vase or a pitcher.
late Middle English: apparently from Latin tripes, triped- 'three-legged', from tri- 'three' + pes, ped- 'foot'.
(as) right as a trivet
- British informal Perfectly all right; in good health.Example sentences
- Apart from that, everything's as right as a trivet and running on schedule.
- ‘In with you,’ he ordered Betty, after a preliminary examination of the harness which, he announced, was ‘as right as a trivet.’
- What comes up out of the earth he gives again to the earth, but what is divine, that he keeps; and so I believe that his inner consciousness, in spite of the apparent madness which springs from it to the surface, is as right as a trivet.
Definición de trivet en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary