- archaic term for two. he split the spar in twain
never the twain shall meet
- Used to suggest that two things are too different to exist alongside each other: families were either ‘church’ or ‘chapel’ and never the twain shall meet[from Rudyard Kipling's ‘Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet’ (Barrack-room Ballads, 1892)]Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It was Rudyard Kipling who said, ‘east is east, west is west, and never the twain shall meet.’
- The band members sat in the Third Class carriage while the brethren of the Loyal Orange Lodge adorned the First Class carriage; never the twain shall meet.
- Each will look after their own, and never the twain shall meet.
Old English twegen, masculine of twā (see two).
Más definiciones de twainDefinición de twain en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.