- 1Constituting number twelve in a sequence; 12th: the twelfth of November his twelfth birthday the twelfth in a series of essaysMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Shii school of Islamic law relying on a series of rational processes dating to at least the twelfth century.
- In the last decades of the twelfth century, the Societas Mercatorum, the organisation that had overseen the commercial life of Florence for 100 years, began to fracture into separate units.
- In the picture at the Civic Museum in Ancona, St Francis in the twelfth century adores the appearance of the Madonna and Child in the clouds above the Doge's palace in Venice, built 300 years later.
- 1.1 Music An interval or chord spanning an octave and a fifth in the diatonic scale, or a note separated from another by this interval.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- I always asked for ‘Up the Lazy River,’ one of many numbers for which she'd worked out a unique walking bass line of chorded twelfths!
- Note how the soloist is taken to both high and low extremes of its wide range of a twelfth, and how rhythm is used to convey mood, the nearest Tomkins ever came to writing in stile concitato.
- 1.2 (the Twelfth or the Glorious Twelfth) (In the UK) 12 August, the day on which the grouse-shooting season begins.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Traditions such as this are central to the Glorious Twelfth, the red-letter day in August which opens the four months of the annual grouse-shooting season.
- Meanwhile, ministry vets have given the go-ahead for grouse shooting to start at the beginning of the season on August 12, the Glorious Twelfth.
- In case you are unaware, yesterday was the Glorious Twelfth, sparking the season of rich foreigners arriving at country lodges throughout Scotland.
- 1.3 (the Twelfth) 12 July, celebrated by upholders of Protestant supremacy in Ireland as the anniversary of William III’s victory over James II at the Battle of the Boyne.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In August 1998, she held a Twelfth of July celebration in Aras an Uachtarain.
- 2 (a twelfth/one twelfth) Each of twelve equal parts into which something is or may be divided.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- If the three are on the ground all at once, that would be three out of 36 players… one twelfth of the players on the ground.
- How can you claim he or anyone else is perfect for you based on some irrelevant, stupid thing he has in common with a twelfth of the population - it's so dumb.
- Each of the sisters had been responsible for bringing in about a twelfth of the horde and knew every one of them by name.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The District will reimburse twelfthly amounts on a prorated basis toward payment of premiums for eligible unit members to provide coverage through 8/31 / 2006 for the plan.
- The Board of Trustees approved twelfthly rates for dental coverage for the period October 1, 2005 through September 30, 2006 as follows: subscriber $15.10, subscriber with one dependent $28.70, subscriber with two or more dependents $42.30.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- A comparison of the 2001 half-year figure with the same period in 2000 shows a twelvefold increase in syphilis; gonorrhoea is up almost 80% and herpes saw a rise of 36%.
- The Scottish Executive's latest calculations say it is a staggering twelvefold increase, much of it spent in rural Scotland.
- Inflation compounded the crisis, with the official cost of living index increasing twelvefold between June 1945 and January 1946.
Más definiciones de twelfthDefinición de twelfth en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.