- 1Twist, move, or fiddle with (something), typically in a purposeless or nervous way: she twiddled the dials on the radio [no object]: he began twiddling with the curtain cordMás ejemplos en oraciones
- My dad started, twiddling his fingers nervously.
- I slouch down in my seat, twiddling my fingers nervously.
- She was nervously twiddling a pen between her fingers.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- 1An act of twisting or fiddling with something: one twiddle of a buttonMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The evolutionists just give the knobs of the ‘mechanism’ a twiddle here and there to ‘explain’ the data.
- With darker or lighter, this is easily done at the twiddle of a knob.
- 1.1A twisted or curled mark or design: twiddles and twirlsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The table is short of curlicues and twiddles and fancy bits.
- 1.2A rapid or intricate series of musical notes: gay little twiddles from the clarinetMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In the anteroom, little knots of people emit a cacophony of twangs and twiddles while, in the adjacent baronial hall, by a framed portrait of our hero, Dickie Speake's band is limbering up.
twiddle one's thumbs
- Rotate one’s thumbs round each other with the fingers linked together.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- ‘Well, you followed me,’ Trent pointed out with a smile, twiddling his thumbs together as he made himself more comfortable on the ground.
- ‘He says some b-b-bad things to me sometimes,’ Jamie said twiddling his thumbs together nervously.
- She began twiddling her thumbs together and staring at the wall ahead of her.
- Be bored or idle because one has nothing to do: I have been sitting here for goodness knows how long twiddling my thumbsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Everyone sat around looking embarrassed and twiddling their thumbs as usual.
- If I didn't come here in the night, I'd be sitting around at home, twiddling my thumbs and thinking about going to a real bar.
- All that sitting around twiddling my thumbs, and pretty soon even the dishes seemed like an interesting option.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The production is functional but uninspiring, the knob - twiddlers unwilling to sail into any waters that might look dangerous or - perish the thought - exciting.
- Every single news organisation is critical of him and his band of thumb twiddlers.
- The result is a very creative album that effectively blends the sounds of two obviously talented knob twiddlers - experts, even.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Could you just sing the tune of the hymn rather than the hundred and fifty-seven little twiddly bits?
- I had a peek at the control panel on the camera while the radiologist was out looking at the first set of snaps: huge, chunky, twiddly dials that looked as though they came from the first nuclear power plant.
- He can get a bit boring, because over and over again, it's the same tune with more twiddly bits.
mid 16th century (in the sense 'trifle'): apparently imitative, combining the notion twirl or twist with that of trifling action expressed by fiddle.