A plant of the parsley family, having its flowers arranged in umbels.
- Family Umbelliferae: numerous genera and species.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- This is why it is important to have a good cross-section of indigenous plants that will host predators, such as umbellifers like fennel and dill that attract hoverfly larvae that eat aphids.
- The silphium plant, a sturdy umbellifer (though with some untypical features), was a regular Cyrenaic coin type for hundreds of years.
- The airy structure of umbellifers makes them uniquely beautiful in death.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Another way of accentuating the flavour is by adding a little of one of their umbelliferous relatives: celery leaves, fennel seeds, chervil, or parsley.
- Cumin seeds are an umbelliferous herb indigenous to Egypt.
- Those with strong antioxidant activity include garlic, soybeans, cabbage and umbelliferous vegetables, such as carrot and celery.
Early 18th century: from obsolete French umbellifère, from Latin umbella 'parasol' + -fer 'bearing'.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: um¦bel|lif¦er
Definición de umbellifer en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda