Definición de umbra en inglés:
sustantivo (plural umbras or umbrae ˈʌmbriː)
1The fully shaded inner region of a shadow cast by an opaque object, especially the area on the earth or moon experiencing the total phase of an eclipse. Compare with penumbra.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- When the Moon is fully immersed in the umbra a total lunar eclipse occurs.
- If the Moon completely enters the umbra, a total lunar eclipse occurs.
- The Moon can then pass through a part of the umbra (region of total shadow) and then there is a partial eclipse.
1.1 Astronomy The dark central part of a sunspot.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Each sunspot consists of a dark central umbra, which is estimated to have a temperature in the region of 4000°C, and a surrounding penumbra, at a temperature in the region 5000°C.
- The darkest, central region of a sunspot, called the umbra, features tightly bundled magnetic field lines.
- When viewed through a telescope, sunspots have a dark central region known as the umbra, surrounded by a somewhat lighter region called the penumbra.
2 [mass noun] literary Shadow or darkness: an impenetrable umbra seemed to fill every inch of the museum
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Outlined against the setting sun, the silhouette took on a strangely surreal beauty, as if a shadow's penumbra and umbra were fused together.
- Not once did she ask if he knew where they were going; and now, with a nettle laced gully yawning out past any shadowed umbra before them, that suddenly appeared very naive.
- How about cleverly distracting from under-eye umbra with some beauty department illusions?
- 1umbral adjetivo
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Further to the east and the west the observers are a few thousand miles more distant, putting them beyond the vertex of the umbral cone, so that they witness only an annular eclipse.
- The event is a moderate partial eclipse with the Moon's northern limb dipping 15 arc-minutes into Earth's umbral shadow.
- The Moon's trajectory takes it deep into the northern umbral shadow resulting in a total eclipse which lasts 1 hour 21 minutes.
Late 16th century (denoting a phantom or ghost): from Latin, literally 'shade'.
Palabras que riman con umbrapenumbra
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda