- 1The ability to understand something; comprehension: foreign visitors with little understanding of EnglishMás ejemplos en oraciones
comprehension, apprehension, grasp, grip, mastery, perception, discernment, appreciation, interpretation, cognizance, ken, conception, digestion, assimilation, absorption; knowledge, awareness, consciousness; insight into, familiarity with, acquaintance with; skill in, expertise in, proficiency in• informal know-how
- It may not be until June or July of next year until a more comprehensive understanding of the problem is reached.
- He constantly strives to increase his abilities and his understanding of the obstacles around him.
- Our understanding of and ability to control quantum systems have never been so good.
- 1.1The power of abstract thought; intellect: a child of sufficient intelligence and understandingMás ejemplos en oraciones
intellect, intelligence, mind, brainpower, capability, insight, judgement, sense, reason, reasoning; intuition, shrewdness, sharpness, quickness, acumen, sagacity, perspicacity, wisdom, wit; thought, mentality; brains, powers of reasoning/intuition; French savoir faire
- I am aware, and hope I have also made it clear to the reader, that merely intellectual understanding is not sufficient.
- Wisdom and understanding have always been powerful and effective weapons against a poor belief/approach.
- The essay is an examination of the nature of the human mind and its powers of understanding.
- 1.2An individual’s perception or judgement of a situation: my understanding was that he would find a new supplierMás ejemplos en oraciones
- His understanding of the situation was that a fracas had spilled over from the field of play to where substitutes were sitting and they got involved.
- This has been an unfortunately brief, but crucial attempt at increasing our understanding of the situation we find ourselves in.
- My understanding of the situation regarding the region was also influenced by his work.
- 2Sympathetic awareness or tolerance: he wrote with understanding and affection of the people of DentMás ejemplos en oraciones
compassion, sympathy, pity, empathy, feeling, concern, considerateness, consideration, tenderness, tender-heartedness, kindness, kind-heartedness, sensitivity, insight, fellow feeling, brotherly love, neighbourliness, decency, humanity, humanitarianism, humaneness, charity, goodwill, mercy, mercifulness, gentleness, tolerance, lenience, leniency, warmth, warm-heartedness, affection, love
- They have shown no compassion, no understanding, no tolerance, and especially, no patience.
- Tolerance and understanding develops between Ruth and other members of the household.
- Every story he tells in some way teaches tolerance and understanding.
- 3 [count noun] An informal or unspoken agreement or arrangement: he and I have an understanding he had only been allowed to come on the understanding that he would be on his best behaviourMás ejemplos en oraciones
- How do we establish mutual agreements or common understandings while respecting diversity?
- They just do not come close to telling the whole story, since informal understandings and norms are crucial in determining outcomes.
- All was talk except for what mattered most, which were unspoken understandings.
adjetivoVolver al principio
- 1Sympathetically aware of other people’s feelings; tolerant and forgiving: a kind and understanding man people expect their doctor to be understandingMás ejemplos en oraciones
- When your partner is a comic book artist you have to be very understanding and tolerant of their life style, which seems to mean having little life besides comics.
- I became a totally different person, more knowledgeable, more tolerant, more understanding.
- But being the tolerant, understanding guy that I am, I wanted to know more.
- 2 • archaic Having insight or good judgement.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- If you lack understanding and meditative insight, this test could become an obstacle.