1The world of criminals or of organized crime: a man reputed to be a godfather of the Glasgow underworld [as modifier]: a prominent underworld figure
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It is suggested that an underworld crime figure planned to grab the mother and her child and to demand a six figure sum.
- Detectives hunting a gunman who executed a father-of-three in a gangland murder have appealed to the criminal underworld to help nail the killer.
- Too late they discover that he is an underworld crime lord, and that crossing him results in an inevitable slow and painful death.
2The mythical abode of the dead, imagined as being under the earth.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- To gain entrance to this forbidden domain she threatened to break down the gates of the underworld, free the dead and devour the living.
- She also guides Persephone to the underworld and back twice a year and thus has a part to play in the seasons.
- During the last six millennia, the hero's journey to the underworld of the dead has been a main part of epic storylines.
the netherworld, the land/abode of the dead, the infernal regions, the nether regions, hell, the abyss;
the abode of the damned, eternal damnation, eternal punishment, perdition;
Roman Mythology Avernus;
Scandinavian Mythology Niflheim;
British the other place
literary the pit, the shades
archaic the lower world
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: under|world
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda