Definición de uniformitarianism en inglés:
sustantivo[mass noun] Geology
The theory that changes in the earth’s crust during geological history have resulted from the action of continuous and uniform processes. Often contrasted with catastrophism.
- They teach that the rejection of God's Word did not begin with Darwin's theory of biological evolution or even with Hutton and Lyell's geological uniformitarianism.
- With this concept, he suggests, those great protagonists of uniformitarianism, Hutton and Lyell, would have agreed.
- However, in recent decades geologists have been saying that the gradualistic uniformitarianism of Charles Lyell does not match the evidence.
uniformitarian adjetivo& sustantivo
- Example sentences
- The very possibility of volcanists in debate with neptunists, and catastrophists with uniformitarians, depends on the adoption of time-frames very different from those derived from the human life-span.
- This is clear from the ‘father of uniformitarian geology’, James Hutton - see his assertion.
- Much fieldwork remains to be done on Earth's ancient glacial climates using well-tried uniformitarian principles embodied in sedimentary basin analysis.
Definición de uniformitarianism en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan