Pronunciación: /ʌpˈlɪft /[with object]
- 1 (usually as adjective uplifted) Lift (something) up; raise: her uplifted faceMás ejemplos en oraciones
boost, raise, buoy up, elevate, edify, inspire, lift, give a lift to, cheer up, perk up, enliven, brighten up, lighten, ginger up, gladden, encourage, stimulate, arouse, revive, restore• informal buck upelevated, hoisted, upraised, upthrust, reared, hitched up, held high, erect, proud• rare upheaved, upreared
- The figure has two uplifted arms, and each of the oversized hands forms an exaggerated circular grip which looks as if it once held a massive or curved object, perhaps an elephant tusk or a jade cong, an item of ritual ceremonial importance.
- I've seen the footage countless times, yet it is not the whole four minutes from start to finish which are seared on to my memory, but the single image of Coe's contorted face and uplifted arms as he crosses the finishing line.
- That the mining operations have uplifted the standard of living of the people in that region is not an overstatement.
- 1.1Scottish Pick up or take away: we will be only too pleased to uplift any items you wish us to sell for youMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He is remarkably bright, infectiously enthusiastic, admirably honest and possessed of an upliftingly kind view of the world.
- 1.2 (be uplifted) (Of an island, mountain, etc.) be created by an upward movement of the earth’s surface: the mountains were uplifted during the Jurassic periodMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The ocean floor solidified, and was eventually uplifted to become part of a mountain.
- Some 26 million years ago, a geologic fault uplifted the reef.
- When the continents were uplifted at the end of the Flood, the incredible energy of the retreating floodwaters carved the landscape.
- 2 (often as adjective uplifted) Elevate (someone) morally or spiritually: people leave my shows feeling upliftedMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Witnessing or being around inspiring people can uplift you, but being kind yourself has its own benefits as well.
- But if you do make the effort, it will uplift you.
- When we are loving and strong in our relationships, we recognize that we have the power to make choices that will uplift us rather than bring us down.
Pronunciación: /ˈʌplɪft /Volver al principio
- 1An act of uplifting something: inflation called for an uplift in many maximum finesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- You have to sell to demonstrate actual uplifts.
- We have seen dramatic uplifts in sales as more and more customers buy into local produce, which is great news for Welsh farmers.
- The sixth annual summer camp for the underprivileged children organised by an NGO that works for the uplift of street children is a heart-warming affair indeed!
- 1.1 Geology An upward movement of part of the earth’s surface: this uplift happened as recently as 45,000 years ago [mass noun]: the rate of upliftMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The uplift and subsequent erosion of the Black Hills are responsible for the accessibility of South Dakota's abundant and diverse mineral locations.
- For example, for more than ten years before the 1964 earthquake near Nigata, Japan, there was an anomalous uplift of the earth crust.
- 1.2 [mass noun, often as modifier] Support from a garment, especially for a woman’s bust: an uplift braMás ejemplos en oraciones
- At the age of 25, she had created MJM, the company that produced the first gel-filled uplift bra.
- The bra plays a clever double game: cleavage uplift to satisfy men, without making a woman feel like an obvious sex object.
- 2A morally or spiritually elevating influence: their love will prove an enormous upliftMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Mr. Turner and Mr. Hetherington were honoured ministers of the Methodist Church, strengthening the hands of all who were working for the uplift of all who would hear and listen.
- A trip to Malvern is always an uplift; even if you don't actually go anywhere, life there is laid back when compared with this speedy metropolis even now that we have moved out right to the edge of the city.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- And for a community with very low employment rate, it is a real uplifter.
- ‘That's what we're here to do,’ says Roberts, ‘to be uplifters of the energy of the planet.’
- Women say their roles there were as the uplifters of communities, and did not see themselves as feminists contradicting that at all.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- My greetings to Dr Brown too for his contribution towards the upliftment of your scientific project.
- Lack of education has practically closed all avenues of government jobs, thus negating their changes for upliftment.
- The missing link in Dr. Morris' views, is the upliftment of the Bahamian people.