sustantivo (plural utilities)
- 1 [mass noun] The state of being useful, profitable, or beneficial: he had a poor opinion of the utility of book learningMás ejemplos en oraciones
- This last appendix is useful, however its utility could have been improved by including a World Wide Web address for each of these companies.
- She has certainly convinced the reviewers of the value of exercise for all persons and particularly of its efficacy and utility for clinical populations.
- I'm sure there's some utility in emergency services practicing working together, but this seems far too choreographed to root out real bugs in the response system.
- 1.1(In game theory or economics) a measure of that which is sought to be maximized in any situation involving a choice.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- We assume that the object of the rational individual person is to maximize utility given the choices and constraints facing the person.
- They deemed it sufficient that a man be left to his own devices to maximise his economic utility.
- As any economist will tell you, a market is based on rational individuals maximizing their utility through economic exchange.
- 2A public utility.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The final vote at the National Assembly on the privatisation bill to transform utilities into limited liability companies will be held on June 22.
- The trend to contract out the management of the utilities to outside companies commanded attention.
- In any case, privatized utilities need strong public regulation, which is difficult and expensive to do well.
- 3 Computing A utility program: a handy utility for converting one graphics file type to anotherMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The user may agree to install a small utility that includes spyware as part of the download.
- The trial of a Norwegian teen accused of developing a utility that enables people to illegally copy DVD movies opened in Oslo yesterday.
- Customers have access to many freeware programs, including utilities, productivity tools and development tools.
- 4Australian /NZ A utility vehicle.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The 44-year-old nursing student was hit by a utility while cycling along Newitt Street on Thursday morning.
- She was tied, gagged and bundled into the back of the utility.
- The driver of the utility was in shock, with minor injuries, he said.
adjetivo[attributive] Volver al principio
- 1Useful, especially through being able to perform several functions: a utility truckMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Though normally functioning as a utility tool, the knife can be an effective close-quarters backup weapon if you know what you're doing with it.
- A concrete outhouse immediately outside the kitchen is fully plumbed and vented for a washing machine and tumble dryer and functions as a utility area.
- We picked up a neat set of utility shelving, manufactured from recycled plastic, to go in the garage.
- 1.1Denoting a player capable of playing in several different positions in a sport: a utility playerMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I was a utility player - played every position but first and pitcher.
- We have got a lot of utility players who can play in a few positions and we can change systems when it becomes necessary.
- And if a player doesn't have great talent, learning several positions can make him more valuable as a role or utility player.
- 2Functional rather than attractive: utility clothingMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I am looking at their jobs as civilians and in the military and focusing on how they coped with rationing and utility clothing.
- Somehow, you don't sound like the sort of person who can stick to utility alone - you'll just end up seeking out obscure brands of utility clothing!
- Dirt covered my already brown pants, and it was smeared all up my bare chest, and the utility vest was just plain filthy.
late Middle English: from Old French utilite, from Latin utilitas, from utilis 'useful'.