Definición de vanquish en inglés:
verbo[with object] literary
- It's all very well to speak of patriotism, of duty and of vanquishing the forces of evil when you're safe in a bunker thousands of miles away from the possibility of action.
- His troops had vanquished their opponents, now the Army and its prisoners were on their way home.
- Council procedures and culture should emphasize discussion and accommodation rather than scoring debater's points and vanquishing one's opponents.
victory from Middle English:
A medieval word that goes back to Latin victoria ‘victory’. The ultimate root was Latin vincere ‘to conquer’, also the source of convince (mid 16th century), convict (Late Middle English), evict (early 16th century), and vanquish (Middle English). Dig for Victory was a British slogan of the Second World War which urged people to grow their own food to make up for the loss of imports. A Pyrrhic victory is a victory won at too great a cost. It comes from Pyrrhus, a king of Epirus, part of present-day Greece. Pyrrhus invaded Italy in 280 bc and defeated the Romans at the battle of Asculum, though only after such heavy losses that after the battle he is said to have exclaimed: ‘One more such victory and we are lost.’ Queen Victoria, whose name is the Latin for ‘victory’, and whose long reign lasted from 1837 to 1901, gave her name to the Victorian era. A support for Victorian values, often summed up as hard work, social responsibility, and strict morality, is associated with former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, who said in 1983: ‘I was asked whether I was trying to restore Victorian values. I said straight out I was. And I am.’
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- They discussed the neuroscientific and the behavioural, the syntactical and the imaginative, declared illiteracy to be utterly vanquishable, and showed why some teaching methodology works best.
- It took also any sense I might have had that life and fate were controllable, that evil was vanquishable.
- I will always consider vanquishable the law of diminishing returns.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Lacking the fitness and finesse of England's vanquishers, the Edinburgh side soon found the northerners fighting their way back into the game.
- My husband, who has seen this same vanquisher of toothaches, told me tales of a small dark office, all of which made those little bats in my stomach flutter faster.
- It may be illustrative to return to the career of the Emperor Phocus - and that of his vanquisher and successor, the Emperor Heraclius.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.