Definición de varix en inglés:
sustantivo (plural varices /ˈvarɪsiːz/)
1 Medicine A varicose vein.
- Health results include varices (enlarged tortuous veins) at the lower end of the esophagus that can bleed severely.
- When these vessels form in the distal esophagus and stomach, the usually small rudimentary left gastric vein dilates and varices develop.
- Portal hypertension with bleeding varices is a serious complication of cirrhosis that can be treated surgically and with drug therapy.
2 Zoology Each of the ridges on the shell of a gastropod mollusc, marking a former position of the aperture.
- The apertural face of the varix of Alamirifica lacks the external ribs and has growth lines suggesting that a flared outer lip has been filled by successive layers that narrow the aperture.
- Laevistrombus, however, has a different shell form with a smooth rounded shoulder and varices on early whorls, characters not known for Austrombus.
- Alamirifica corona differs considerably from Echinobathra by not having protruding, very thick varices nor tabulate whorls.
late Middle English: from Latin.
Definición de varix en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan