Definición de verger en inglés:
1An official in a church who acts as a caretaker and attendant.
- A city centre church verger has the power to summon scores of police and dozens of security guards at the touch of a button.
- Mr Angus had joined the Minster staff in October 1980 as part of a team of vergers who help with the day-to-day running of the cathedral.
- A verger accidentally locked up without realising that Mr Poole, a former chief general manager with the Norwich Building Society, was still inside.
2An officer who carries a rod before a bishop or dean as a symbol of office.
- I was the last verger of the Garrison Church and took part in the final service.
- Church officials gave more details yesterday about a popular verger who plunged more than 100 ft to his death from York Minster on Sunday.
- Only the old verger allows himself no rest, and still rings the service in and out.
- Example sentences
- The family of Hutter ran the vergership in Kaplièky from 1854 to 1946.
- The first break in this run was made, when, during a change in vergership, a bath and hot water geyser were added to the School House.
Definición de verger en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan