Keeping careful watch for possible danger or difficulties: the burglar was spotted by vigilant neighbours
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He also urged individuals to be vigilant in watching for offenders and to report them to their local councillor.
- As women we need to remain vigilant and watch how our South African Constitution is put into practice.
- We must keep alert and vigilant to the future plans of the developers.
watchful, on the lookout, observant, sharp-eyed, keen-eyed, gimlet-eyed, eagle-eyed, hawk-eyed, with eyes like a hawk, with one's eyes open, keeping one's eyes peeled/skinned, attentive, paying attention, alert, on the alert, on one's toes, on the qui vive;
awake, wide awake, unsleeping, on one's guard, on guard, concentrating, careful, cautious, wary, chary, circumspect, prudent, heedful, mindful;
informal beady-eyed, not missing a trick, on the ball, keeping a weather eye on things, leery
rare regardful, Argus-eyed
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- But those of us who disagree should vigilantly watch for, and resist, the ‘displacement of constitutional hegemony’ that the article welcomes.
- Classicism holds sway even in this debate: it has been an ideological service worker vigilantly cleaning up, heroicizing and aestheticizing violences and hatreds.
- What's most curious is that the people who advocate abstinence in other countries are generally the same people who vigilantly refuse to allow discussion of the subject in the United States.
Late 15th century: from Latin vigilant- 'keeping awake', from the verb vigilare, from vigil (see vigil).
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: vigi|lant
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda