1 literary A supernatural being or agency; an apparition: in the poem, the angels of death appeared as spectral visitants
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Swedenborg's angelic guardians were often dispatched to protect dreamers from the infestation of evil spirits, and these visitants answered to the description given such beings, down to the colors of their robes.
- … This incident had a curious effect on me; it impressed me as if the bird had been a spiritual visitant - so strange was it that this little wild thing should seem to ask our hospitality ’.
- Although ‘it may not be quite prudent’ to meddle in the supernatural realm lest some ‘formidable visitants’ be aroused, eventually Professor Parkins cannot resist the temptation.
2 archaic A visitor or guest.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- On the conclusion of his remarks, enthusiastic cheers, the thunder of cannon, and the peals of bells welcomed the visitants to the town.
- The following spring she told her husband: ‘I had rather more than an hundred visitants last night, but the apartment held them with ease, and the highest compliments were paid to the house and elegance of the apartments.’
- Neither is a regular visitant to the green leather benches; but, prompted by their ‘consciences’ (clearly, the pantomime season is upon us), they joined the gay pride march through the Ayes lobby last Monday night.
adjetivoarchaic or literary
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: vis¦it|ant
Definición de visitant en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda