- (In certain fungi) a veil which encloses the fruiting body, often persisting after rupture as a sheath at the base of the stalk.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Amanitas have many superficial resemblances which can confuse amateur mushroom hunters: it is better to avoid veiled mushrooms with bulbed bases or volvas unless you are very experienced with mushrooms.
- Gomphidius and Chroogomphus species have neither volvas nor skirtlike rings, although most species have a veil when young which leaves a fragmentary ring on the stem of the mushroom as it matures.
- The saccate volva is attached only near the base of the stem, grayish on the outer surface, and 20-35 mm wide.
mid 18th century: modern Latin, from Latin volvere 'to roll, wrap round'.
Más definiciones de volvaDefinición de volva en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.