Definición de votary en inglés:
sustantivo (plural votaries)
1A person, such as a monk or nun, who has made vows of dedication to religious service.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The conflict between the votaries of Hindutva votaries and the Left-secular intellectuals has preoccupied the media.
- There is invariably a reciprocal relationship between the votary and the saint to whom a vow is made; if the votary receives the demanded protection, healing, or victory, he or she must meet the obligation made at the time of the vow.
- It is possible to a great extent to speak of Hinduism as culture rather than as religion (a distinction the votaries of Hindutva reject or blur).
1.1A devoted follower, adherent, or advocate of someone or something: he was a votary of John Keats
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- They are local votaries of heritage preservation, yet their voice remains largely unheard.
- This lends to parts of the writing a rather contrived air which has evoked a sympathetic response from some of his modern votaries but which has produced a cooler reaction amongst more critically inclined commentators.
- In time, both find their votaries deserting them to worship the god of riches, and so apply for readmission to the heavens.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- There is perhaps something perverse or inhuman about a pretty young woman who wants to live a life even more restrained and restricted than that practised by the votarists of Saint Clare.
- A solemn service is then performed, hosannas arise, and royal votarists and diplomatic devotees parade the church, with guards of honour and running footmen, while English gentlemen and ladies mob and scramble, and crowd and bribe, and fight their way to the best places they can obtain.
- In fact, the Egyptian language, Mdu Ntr, was not included as a classical language by the votarists of Greek and Latin in the 19th century, although Egyptian comes much earlier than either Greek or Latin, has more written documents, and expresses a holistic philosophy based on ancient traditions.
Definición de votary en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Canadá
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en España
Muy popular en Malasia
Muy popular en Pakistán