- 1The part of the human body below the ribs and above the hips, often narrower than the areas above and below: he put an arm around her waist the last time you had a waist was around 1978Más ejemplos en oraciones
- I plaited her hair so that it fell in one long rope of yellow to her narrow waist.
- A set-in waistband hints at a waist, while the flared hemline softens a boxy shape.
- Swimmers with this body type are more muscular, thick-chested with broad shoulders and a smaller waist.
- 1.1The circumference of a person’s waist: her waist has reduced from 35 to 28 inchesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- By this means we are told that waists can be reduced, flat chests inflated, hips broadened and lungs strengthened, to say nothing of reducing weight.
- Ancient statues have been found of men and women with 10-inch (!) waists!
- How lovely to think that even those with 24-inch waists will be forced to cover them up from now on.
- 1.2The part of a garment around or covering the waist: trousers with an elasticated waistMás ejemplos en oraciones
- My jeans have an elastic waist and pockets on the side and larger ones below my knees.
- Pin your creation on your shoulder, at the waist, on a hat or handbag, even on a cuff at the wrist.
- Drawstring pants with elastic in the waist allow for a closer fit with added flexibility.
- 1.3The point at which a garment is shaped so as to narrow between the ribcage and the hips: a jacket with a high waistMás ejemplos en oraciones
- She was wearing a pretty blue shirt with ruffled sleeves and a high waist with lace.
- It was designed along Grecian lines with a high empire waist, and silver lace trim.
- Are customers trying to tell designers we've had enough of the low rise waist and want to cover it up?
- 2A narrow part in the middle of something, such as a violin or hourglass.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Wellington, a long almond biscuit, rounded at each end with a narrower waist.
- The flats currently used appear to be about 0.04 inch too narrow at the waist and 0.04 inch too long.
- 2.1The middle part of a ship, between the forecastle and the quarterdeck.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- She is 60 ft long and sleeps 10-four in the bow, four in the stern and two in the waist of the ship.
- He stood nonchalantly next to the quarter-deck rail looking into the waist.
- Kennedy entered the waist from below decks reaching his hand down the companion to assist her up the steep stairs!
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The strip involved primary characters who were waistless but had arms and legs, neckless but had mouths and eyes; only one had a nose.
- She stands up decisively and pulls her t-shirt down at the sides, accentuating the waistless bulge of her torso that protrudes for some distance from her body.
- The dress was waistless and hung mid-calf with various layers of lace.
late Middle English: apparently representing an Old English word from the Germanic root of wax2.