Definición de welkin en inglés:
- When the welkin had ceased to ring with their laughter and screeches, it was customary to join forces and proceed arm-in-arm to spend the evening in the town.
- The loud noise of rushing elephants resembled the roars of the clouds in the welkin, in the season of rains.
- make the welkin ring
- literary Make a very loud sound: the crew made the welkin ring with their hurrahsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- A large crowd was on the piers to witness her departure, and they made the welkin ring with their cheers.
- Mark and his companions made the welkin ring with their shouts at the old man's answer.
- For almost two hours, dignified doctors made the welkin ring with catcalls, boos, and cries of ‘Sit down!’
loft from Old English:
In Old English loft meant ‘air, sky’ as well as what was up in the air, an upper room. It comes from Old Norse, and shares a Germanic root with lift (Old English). Sky (Middle English) was also a borrowing from Scandinavian and originally meant ‘cloud’. The word was applied to a shade of blue in the mid 17th century; the phrase out of a clear blue sky, for something as unexpected as rain or thunder out of such a sky, made its appearance towards the end of the 19th century; the sky's the limit dates from the 1920s. When Anglo-Saxons wanted to talk about the sky they could also use the word wolcen, welkin in modern English, but now only used in the expression to make the welkin ring.
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.