Definición de wheedle en inglés:
Use endearments or flattery to persuade someone to do something or give one something: she wheedled her way on to the guest list [with object]: she had wheedled us into employing her brother [with direct speech]: ‘Please, for my sake,’ he wheedled
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- But then, 10 minutes later, he's still needling and wheedling so convincingly you start to flip-flop back to the earlier assumption that, self-effusing pretence or not, Alan Davies hates having his picture taken.
- The film-makers were busy on the lot or on location, but our producers, like Jacob, stayed in the tents, free to wheedle, convince and extort position from and in the studio system.
- With the new cameras will come no mercy, no human face to wheedle, cajole, or insult.
coax, cajole, inveigle, lure, induce, blarney, entice, charm, tempt, beguile, flatter, persuade, influence, sway, win someone over, bring someone round, prod, talk, convince, make, get, press, prevail on, get round, argue, reason, urge, pressure, pressurize, bring pressure to bear on, coerce
Mid 17th century: perhaps from German wedeln 'cringe, fawn', from Wedel 'tail, fan'.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Its characters are all louche brutes, cozeners and wheedlers - all save the heroine, Bradshaw.
- No self-respecting wheedler would try and talk one into eating the whole thing - it would be gauche.
- These last few weeks, when the wheedlers hadn't yet taken over my classes, I was a little worried.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Shame he seems to have to rely on wheedlingly bland ballads to keep him on the radio though.
- Different attendants had different styles, though; an older woman had a wheedlingly generous maternal manner and she spoke to us loudly and indulgently as if we were spoiled kids.
- Now and again men came, strangers, who talked excitedly, wheedlingly, and in all kinds of fashions to the man in the red sweater.
Palabras que riman con wheedlebeadle, bipedal, credal, needle
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en India
Muy popular en Pakistán