1A person or thing that comes to someone’s aid.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The novel's hero, Justin Quayle, becomes ever more the white knight, superb and incorruptible in his quest.
- Of course, when you are a blonde bombshell, there are bound to be white knights coming out of the old-world woodwork.
- Like nurses they are white knights in a society over-dominated by people obsessed purely with their own needs.
1.1A person or company making an acceptable counter-offer for a company facing a hostile takeover bid: the company was sold off to a white knight to fend off a hostile raider
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Britain's biggest bank, HSBC, is being pressed to act as a white knight by Abbey shareholders unhappy at the £8 billion takeover by Banco Santander Central Hispano of Spain.
- He stepped into a takeover battle as a white knight and emerged as majority owner of an old and underperforming mine in Ontario.
- A potential acquirer who outbids a white knight in an unfriendly takeover attempt.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: white knight
Definición de white knight en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda