1A white bow tie worn by men as part of full evening dress.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Officials asked the university senate to enforce a historic dress code barring all forms of dress apart from traditional white ties and suits.
- Another favourite for Win was a ceremony in the theme of Chicago gangsters, the men in black shirts and white ties and carrying violin cases.
- This was five-man boy band Surge, who came on in black shirts and trousers with white ties, doing a synchronised R & B dance routine to their soca hybrid song In Your Timing Girl.
1.1 [mass noun] Full evening dress with a white bow tie: he was wearing immaculate white tie and tails [as modifier]: a white-tie dinner
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- If you give them your measurements in advance you ought to be okay - I've had both black and white tie from there without fittings and it's been okay.
- If we were in Semi-Monde, and I was debonair in white-tie and she was diaphanous in her black-and-gold evening gown, I'd languidly reply: ‘Thanks.’
- Social Scientist Jim Sleeper quit the Yale Glee Club after his junior year, in 1968, because, as he has told me, ‘With all that was going on in the world, I couldn't spend the weekends touring in white-tie.’
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: white tie
Definición de white tie en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda