Definición de wield en inglés:
- Security guards were robbed at gunpoint by raiders wielding a sawn-off shotgun and a pistol.
- He ran across the battle field, wielding no weapon except for a small knife.
- Here and there lay the bodies of a few raiders, killed by desperate farmers wielding crude weapons.
- The Royal Company of Archers is a group of mostly elderly men who dress up for ceremonial events, but they also wield power and influence.
- As a leading shareholder, he wields power and influence himself, and has not been afraid to use it.
- Was that Cabinet minister under a misapprehension or do you actually wield power or influence?
unwieldy from (Late Middle English):
The early meaning recorded was ‘lacking strength, infirm’. The word is composed of the prefix un- ‘not’ and wieldy in the obsolete sense ‘active’, from the Old English wield ‘rule, direct’. Unwieldy has meant ‘huge and awkward in shape’ since the late 16th century.
- Example sentences
- Key to the success of such narratives is the existence of a disenfranchised population who want to be liberated and can be re-imagined as legitimate wielders of state power.
- It silenced his critics, confounded his doubters and forced those knife wielders to return those implements to their dusty habitats for another day.
- They savoured the preparations along with their friends, and watched the willow wielders and the bowlers display their prowess.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.