Early 18th century: originally applied to containers holding a bushel, gallon, or quart, according to an obsolete system of measurement with standards kept at Winchester (see Winchester2).
Definición de Winchester en:
- Diccionario Español
- At Plevna the Russians' use of howitzers firing over the heads of their assault troops negated the Turks superior infantry firepower - provided by Winchester rifles - by forcing the defenders to take cover against the bursting shells.
- The new Winchesters feature inertial triggers and a conventional tang safety that also doubles as a barrel selector.
- The 1885, as with most Winchesters of the time, was offered with many options including barrel length, round, octagon barrels or a combination thereof, set triggers, fancy wood and special sights.
- Many people don't realize that the founding fathers of the Winchester disk drive at IBM Corporation originally mandated that the computer's primary storage device, the magnetic hard disk drive, was to be removable.
- When hard drives started appearing in personal computers, computer guys would ask, ‘Does it have a Winchester drive?’
- But the fiercely competitive makers of Winchester drives have fought off foreign competition.
From the name of name of Oliver F. Winchester (1810–80), the American manufacturer of the rifle. (sense 2) is so named because its original numerical designation corresponded to the calibre of the rifle.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.