Definición de winkle en inglés:
1A small herbivorous shore-dwelling mollusc with a spiral shell. Also called periwinkle2.
- Family Littorinidae, class Gastropoda: many genera and species, including the common and edible Littorina littorea
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Shellfish such as oysters, mussels, cockles, winkles, whelks and crabs were collected for food from the estuaries and sea-shores.
- The sand was dotted with saucer - sized jellyfish, rocks and pools are squidgy with jelly buttons encrusted with limpets, barnacles and winkles and are seedbeds for mussels.
- Although there are many winkles on Breydon, I have never seen the oystercatcher take them.
2 informal A child’s term for a penis.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- So you see, when I dozed off in my garden chair in the middle of a fascinating discussion with my son about which animals have winkles and which don't, I was in very good company.
- One of my favourite snapshots of my son shows him running around, winkle to the wind, naked as the day he was born.
verbo[with object] (winkle something out) chiefly British Volver al principio
Extract or obtain something with difficulty: I swore I wasn’t going to tell her, but she winkled it all out of me
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He realises the paramount importance of getting all the facts into the public domain before the press winkle them out.
- If necessary, they'll read between the lines to winkle it out.
- Julio went quiet in the elevator and I finally winkled it out of him - he's wondering how long we've got provisions for.
- winkler sustantivo
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Members of the Chippenham Winkle Club known as winklers donned their Christmas outfits for the giveaway along the Kennet and Avon canal.
Late 16th century: shortening of periwinkle2.
Palabras que riman con winklebesprinkle, crinkle, sprinkle, tinkle, twinkle, wrinkle
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda