- 1The solstice at midwinter, at the time of the shortest day, about 22 December in the northern hemisphere and 21 June in the southern hemisphere.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Of course the Northern Hemisphere's summer solstice is the winter solstice in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The Greeks celebrated the New Year on December 21 at the winter solstice, when the day was at its shortest.
- The winter solstice falls on December 21, marking the year's longest night.
- 1.1 Astronomy The solstice in December.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Similarly Chinese New Year is often celebrated at the second full moon after the winter solstice, although again the precise rules are complicated.
- The times between winter solstices, or between autumnal equinoxes, also give different values for the astronomical ‘year.’
- Each year, on the fifth night after the new moon following the winter solstice, white-robed priests performed a solemn ritual, cutting mistletoe from oaks using a golden sickle.
Más definiciones de winter solsticeDefinición de winter solstice en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.