Definición de winter solstice en inglés:
1The solstice at midwinter, at the time of the shortest day, about 22 December in the northern hemisphere and 21 June in the southern hemisphere.
- Of course the Northern Hemisphere's summer solstice is the winter solstice in the Southern Hemisphere.
- The Greeks celebrated the New Year on December 21 at the winter solstice, when the day was at its shortest.
- The winter solstice falls on December 21, marking the year's longest night.
1.1 Astronomy The solstice in December.
- Similarly Chinese New Year is often celebrated at the second full moon after the winter solstice, although again the precise rules are complicated.
- The times between winter solstices, or between autumnal equinoxes, also give different values for the astronomical ‘year.’
- Each year, on the fifth night after the new moon following the winter solstice, white-robed priests performed a solemn ritual, cutting mistletoe from oaks using a golden sickle.
Definición de winter solstice en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan