- 1Characterized by, expressive of, or causing sorrow or misery: her face was woefulMás ejemplos en oraciones
sad, unhappy, miserable, woebegone, doleful, forlorn, crestfallen, glum, gloomy, dejected, downcast, disconsolate, downhearted, despondent, depressed, despairing, dismal, melancholy, broken-hearted, heartbroken, inconsolable, grief-strickentragic, sad, saddening, unhappy, sorrowful, miserable, cheerless, wretched, sorry, pitiful, pathetic, pitiable, gloomy, grievous, traumatic, upsetting, depressing, distressing, heartbreaking, heart-rending, tear-jerking, agonizing, harrowing• rare distressful
- He sounded so woeful, his expression so longing, that I had felt sympathy for him.
- He felt a tug on his heart as he watched her face, her woeful expression silhouetted by the moonlight.
- He used to draw woeful crowds, especially to the Square above.
- 2Very bad; deplorable: the remark was enough to establish his woeful ignorance about the theatreMás ejemplos en oraciones
dreadful, very bad, awful, terrible, frightful, atrocious, disgraceful, deplorable, shameful, hopeless, lamentable, laughable, substandard, poor, inadequate, inferior, unsatisfactory• informal rotten, appalling, crummy, pathetic, pitiful, useless, lousy, shocking, abysmal, dire, the pitsNorth American • vulgar slang chickenshit
- Last weekend's wet, wild and woeful trip to gloomy south Wales did turn out to have a silver lining for at least one Borders player.
- The committee concluded that the paper trail on this whole sorry transaction was woeful.
- Hopefully, the pathetic and woeful situation that has been allowed to arise will bring people to their senses, at least on the playing side.
- [as submodifier]: the police response was woefully inadequateMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The colonels have woefully inadequate resources and lack the will to roust their adversaries.
- As it currently stands the allowance is woefully inadequate and would not heat a house for two days let alone a week.
- I thought it was terrible, woefully removed from the common man or woman in terms of the price of some of the clothes.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The editor is noted for addressing hacks at their end-of-term bash in a speech widely noted for its spectacular woefulness.
- And, really, the only bright spot of yesterday for United, who are fast slipping into pre-McCall woefulness, was that they broke their duck against Hearts.
- Small wonder modern heavy rock gets such a ribbing when it goes and gets itself involved in woefulness like this.