Definición de wood en inglés:
- This will become the first housing scheme in the UK to be communally heated with piped hot water from a single boiler fuelled by waste wood from local timber.
- You are much less likely to be arrested for destroying London trees if you buy planks of wood from a local timber merchant.
- He said that in Jepara, the center of Central Java's furniture industry, the quality of teak wood was poor.
- No, we never had any ale in the wood since I went.
- Tannins in wine come predominantly from the grapes and to a much lesser extent, from the wood in which it was aged.
- They shipped the new Beaujolais in cask and served it direct from the wood.
- All lines feature woods with high lofts, thin grips and lightweight graphite shafts.
- The precious cargo of two dozen gutta-perch balls, three woods, three irons and a putter arrived at the doorstep of John Reid's new home in Yonkers not a day too soon.
- I am an enthusiastic if occasional golfer: I can hit the ball well with my woods, but have little control over my irons.
- He crushes a three wood with his second shot, which comes up 30 yards shy of the green.
- Whereupon he wildly hit a wood shot into the creek and took a 7.
- Chris Ferris's effort coming with a three wood second shot at the par four 4th hole.
- No forests, woods or scrub lands are burning out of control.
- Trees grown in woods and forests do not suffer from this anywhere nearly as badly as lone trees that don't have any neighbours to shelter behind.
- While U.S. campers backpack through woods and forest lands, Malaysian campers trek through the jungle.
The first meaning of wood was ‘a tree’, although the sense ‘small forest’ was found soon after. People touch wood (or in North America knock on wood) to ward off bad luck. The expression is recorded only since 1849. Be unable to see the wood from the trees is older, dating from the mid 16th century. Another phrase relating to the ‘small forest’ sense is out of the woods, meaning ‘out of danger or difficulty’. This probably comes from the 18th-century proverb don't halloo [shout for joy] till you are out of the wood. See also nasty, neck, spoon
be unable to see the wood (or North American the forest) for the trees
- Fail to grasp the main issue because of over-attention to details: it is often difficult for people in organizations to see the wood for the treesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- You guys just cannot see the wood for the trees can you?
- The result is biographies in which we cannot see the wood for the trees.
- But in Kelly's own universe of absolutist morality one cannot see the forest for the trees and one scandal such as prisoner abuse somehow overshadows and negates the far greater good of seeing the end of tyranny.
out of the wood (or woods)
- [usually with negative] Out of danger or difficulty: we are not out of the woods but we have been thrown a lifelineMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Observers, however, do not doubt that the company is well down the recovery track - if not quite out of the woods.
- Neither he nor his illustrious brother seem out of the woods yet.
- Her doctor said, Yes, she's out of the woods, with a quickening and lightening of his voice.
touch (or chiefly North American knock on) wood
- Said in order to prevent a confident statement from bringing bad luck: I haven’t been banned yet, touch wood[with reference to the custom of touching something wooden to ward off bad luck]Más ejemplos en oraciones
- So far we have only had one trip to York District Hospital (fingers crossed, touch wood and spit for luck) after he ran head first into the fireplace and got a bruised lump roughly the size of a pickled egg on his noggin.
- He would throw salt over his shoulder and knock on wood just for good luck, I didn't learn this until I lived with him.
- I used direct deposit, it hasn't been a problem as of yet, knock on wood.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The University of Delaware's Affordable Composites from Renewable Sources program is devising techniques to manufacture soy-based plastics that can be used to build hurricane-resistant housing with woodless lumber.
- Thanks Jamie for the comments on the Derwent woodless pencils - I think I'll stay away from those!
- You'll have to browse the galleries of DW's official woodless construction website for that.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.