1A print made from a finely detailed design cut into the end grain of a block of wood. Compare with woodcut.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- As this article was illustrated by a large wood engraving after a second reproductive print by Aristide Louis, the reference was made abundantly clear.
- To promote that part of his business, he had a nice billhead with a wood engraving illustrating a bench plane, an axe head, and a hatchet.
- This exercise in sentimental reportage, which had previously appeared as a wood engraving in the Graphic, briefly established Fildes as the leading social realist painter in England.
1.1 [mass noun] The technique of making wood engravings.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Bewick rediscovered the technique of wood engraving which he went on to establish as a major book illustrating technique but Hutton's book was his first assignment.
- In part one of this article the basic printmaking techniques relief printing and intaglio printing were discussed and the relief techniques woodcut, wood engraving and linocut were introduced.
- For a description of the technical process of wood engraving, please refer to printmaking and for a description how a traditional Japanese woodblock print is made, to Japanese prints.
wood engraver sustantivo
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- This was the birthplace of the virtuoso wood engraver Thomas Bewick, though Bewick himself spent most of his life in nearby Newcastle, and had his workshop hard by St Nicholas's church, today the city's cathedral.
- He was the son of a miniaturist and trained as a wood engraver.
- In an 1844 vignette published in Les Belges illustres, the wood engraver Lacoste fils recast the courtly studio envisioned by Cornelius and Ducq into an artist's garret.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: wood en|grav¦ing
Definición de wood engraving en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda