- 1The fine, soft curly or wavy hair forming the coat of a sheep, goat, or similar animal, especially when shorn and prepared for use in making cloth or yarn: Harris tweed is made from pure new woolMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Tents and rugs are made from sheep's wool or goats' hair.
- She was wearing a cloak made out of a Lena's fur, which was much like a sheep's wool, only finer and much softer.
- Nomads of the desert and the high plateau live in tents woven from goat's hair, wool, and grass.
- 1.1Yarn or textile fibre made from wool: carpets made of 80 per cent wool and 20 per cent nylon [count noun]: a sampler in coloured wools [as modifier]: her blue wool suitMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Kirby's collection has recently expanded to include classically styled trousers in Super - 120 wools and wool cashmere blends.
- For Merino and halfbred wools, fibre diameter is the major factor that contributes to price variation as it significantly influences both fibre processing properties and ultimate product quality.
- We must have sold millions and millions and millions of yards of navy blue cashmere or pure wools, beautiful quality fabrics, which I always did.
- 2.1 [with modifier] The soft underfur or down of some other mammals: beaver woolMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I shivered with each step taken while she glided on in a warm alpaca wool sweater resurrected from her bulkiest bag.
- Solid-colored llama wool sweaters offer protection against the cold Andean night air.
- For two decades poachers have slaughtered chiru by the thousands for their wool, which is finer and more expensive than cashmere.
- 2.2 [with modifier] A metal or mineral made into a mass of fine fibres: lead woolMás ejemplos en oraciones
- All materials (cellulose Soxhlet thimbles, silica wool, vials) were cleaned with analytical grade organic solvents prior to use.
- There are many grades of steel wool on the market today.
- Aluminium can be keep clean with fine steel wool and plenty of soap.
pull the wool over someone's eyes
- Deceive someone by telling untruths.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Being in the ‘promised land’ is obviously not all it's cracked up to be - or just maybe the board are pulling the wool over our eyes.
- They were pulling the wool over our eyes from Day One.
- He presents it as though he's pulling the wool over our eyes, only we are all too stupid to notice.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- We believe that it may be suffering from an aphid attack as it is covered in cotton wool-like clusters which have formed on the underside of the tree's branches.
- By comparison, rock wool, which is sometimes mistaken for vermiculite insulation because of its similar light gray to dark gray color, is thick and wool-like in appearance, as opposed to granular.
- He wore plain dark trainers, black jeans, a white pullover and a black wool-like coat, with a navy shoulder strap bag hanging behind him.
Old English wull, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch wol and German Wolle, from an Indo-European root shared by Latin lana 'wool', vellus 'fleece'.