A musical instrument consisting of a flat wooden soundbox with numerous strings stretched across it, placed horizontally and played with the fingers and a plectrum. It is used especially in central European folk music.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- They've grown up and want us to realise it; this album is more low key and features an impressive array of instruments including a ukulele, zithers, brass and strings.
- European zithers are all box zithers: that is, the soundboard forms the upper surface of a wooden resonator box.
- With harps, gourds, lutes and zithers, the album takes the listener on a journey through the band's life.
mid 19th century: from German, from Latin cithara (see cittern).
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The bowed zither may seem strange, but is exactly what it appears to be - a violin for zitherists.
- Harpist and zitherists as a rule only use the thumb and three fingers.
- She was taught by her mother, Qu Yun, a well-known zitherist.
Definición de zither en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.