Definición de Assyrian en inglés:
1An inhabitant of ancient Assyria.
- Some of the most sophisticated ancient civilisations once thrived in Iraq, but the cities of the Babylonians, Assyrians and Sumerians have become fragile ruins, in a nation recovering from war.
- The ancient Assyrians, Babylonians, Egyptians and Jews endowed this remarkable plant with holy virtues.
- The later Babylonians, Arameans and Assyrians all assimilated the culture initially prepared by the Sumerians.
2The language of ancient Assyria, a dialect of Akkadian.
- He more or less gave up photography and devoted himself to the study of Assyrian, a dead language, but he had imbued photography with the living language of art.
- At the time Armenians converted to Christianity in 301, they had their own language but, with no alphabet, they relied on Greek and Assyrian for writing.
- It is said that the word ‘Asia’ has its origin in ‘asu’, which means ‘sunrise’ in Assyrian.
3A dialect of Aramaic still spoken by a group of people of mainly Christian faith living in the mountains of Syria, northern Iraq, and surrounding regions.
- School children speak some 110 languages, and one can find bilingual education teachers in 20 different languages including Assyrian, German, Polish, Russian and Tagalog.
- As this article points out, Aramaic was the parent language of Assyrian.
- At the same time, the article guarantees Iraqis the right to educate their children in their mother tongues, such as Turkomen or Assyrian, in government educational institutions.
adjetivoVolver al principio
1Of or relating to ancient Assyria or its language.
- In 1843 he was appointed British consul in Baghdad and this allowed extra time for his studies, especially work on cuneiform tablets found at Assyrian cities such as Nimrud and Nineveh.
- Items from ancient Babylon and Nineveh, Sumerian statues, Assyrian reliefs and 5,000-year-old tablets bearing some of the earliest known writing have been taken or damaged whilst troops stood by and watched.
- It is the site of an ancient Assyrian castle, whose many walls have been integrated into the general city architecture.
2Relating to or denoting modern Assyrian or its speakers.
- We have people who feel strongly that they are Assyrian, but the basis for their being Assyrian has diminished considerably because of the loss of language.
- They preferred that the language of instruction in their schools revert to Arabic-a more useful means of communication outside of their homeland-with Assyrian language and culture as a separate area of study for their children.
- Bitter disputes have already broken out on the Kirkuk provincial council between the Kurdish majority and Arab, Turkmen and Assyrian minorities, who are challenging the legitimacy of the recent election.
Definición de Assyrian en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary