- A system of classification of stars based on their spectral types, the chief classes (O, B, A, F, G, K, M) forming a series from hot bluish-white stars to cool dull red stars.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Stars are given a Harvard classification according to the dominant element found in their spectra and the classes are ordered according to their surface temperature.
- This classification is based on spectral lines sensitive to stellar surface gravity which is related to luminosity, as opposed to the Harvard classification which is based on surface temperature.
- In 1910 Annie Jump Cannon, working under the direction of Pickering, modified the Harvard classification system taking all of the absorption lines into account.
1960s: named after the observatory at Harvard University, where it was devised.
Más definiciones de Harvard classificationDefinición de Harvard classification en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional