- (1743–1826), 3rd president of the US 1801–09. A Democratic-Republican from Virginia, he played a key role in leadership during the American Revolution and was the principal drafter of the Declaration of Independence 1776. While president, he secured the Louisiana Purchase 1803 and authorized the Lewis-Clark expedition to explore this territory. Re-elected to a second term, his poor handling of US shipping and maritime policy made a third term impossible. He chartered the University of Virginia 1819 and served as its head.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Indeed, the Jeffersonian model of religious liberty came to constitutional prominence only in the 1940s, and then largely at the behest of the United States Supreme Court.
- Upon returning to New England after his sojourn in Virginia, Leland became increasingly involved in Jeffersonian politics, considering himself to be a champion of the people.
- Under the assumptions of Jeffersonian democracy and the constraints of the Tenth Amendment, Congress has not been given the power by the people to make voting a reality for every American.
Pronunciación: /ˌjefərˈsōnēən/adjetivo & sustantivo
Más definiciones de Jefferson, ThomasDefinición de Jefferson, Thomas en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional